I’ve been having a problem recently where when extracting files from a zipped file, Windows Explorer got to a certain point with the extraction and then stopped responding! Boy was I happy about that!
Anyway it got to be a real problem so I did some digging around and found what I hoped might be the solution.
I have AVG 8.0 which is a free anti virus software product, it was suggested that uninstalling that would be the end of my problem. Well actually the place where I got the info from said AVG 8.0 didn’t have the problem, but I wasn’t so sure.
I knew I have the up to date service packs which fix all the reported bugs for Vista so i was pretty sure that those suggesting I needed them could be right a lot of the time, they weren’t this time however.
I decided to just turn off AVG and try an extraction that had been failing time and time again. No good ******!
So even though AVG 8.0 shouldn’t not be the cause I decided to uninstall it anyway. And this time it worked!
So having blamed Windows Vista and called it all the names under the sun it turned out to be AVG checking the files as they extracted and conflicting with the extraction process.
So I’m a happy bunny again, always a good thing so I’m told!!
Moral of the story if you don’t know how to do something, search on the problem and nine times out of ten you will find the solution with maybe just a little lateral digging!